Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Light weight salad



By God's grace, I don't have any weight issues! Maybe 5 or so lbs to lose or should I say, get 5 lbs of muscle and lose the fat! At the same time I receive complements, I get the questions on how I stay slim! Well, first of all, thanks to my dad! Yes, it is in my genes. Secondly, I do watch what I put in my mouth! Yes girls, you need to do it. It is very important to really check what is on your plate. This doesn't mean you need to deprive yourself of the foods you love. But again, there is a certain constraint called "Portion Control"! I don't binge normally but I do crave certain foods that are definitely a no, no if you are watching your waistline. And it is true that a few seconds of joy on the lips, a permanent bulge on the hips! So I limit the quantity if I eat fried or fatty food and I replace my next meal with healthy salads.
So for my friends, I decided to share a few recipes that is satisfying and filling and you can see how fast the weight come off!
Here is a salad that is one of my favorites. And you will see that salads shouldn't be boring or green!
Tomato and Avocado salad

Ingredients:

about 4 medium beets, scrubbed and tops removed
4 medium tomatoes, different colours or heirloom if possible, cut into 1/4-inch wedges
1 medium Haas avocado, ripe,cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 small red onion, cut in half and sliced into thin half moons
4 tsp olive oil, extra-virgin
4 tsp red wine vinegar
1/4 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
1 Tbsp basil, fresh, chopped
1 Tbsp chives, fresh, chopped

How to:

Pre heat oven at 400° F. Place beets in aluminum foil, cover loosely. Bake until beets pierce easily with the point of a sharp knife, about 25 minutes.

Remove beets from oven and let them cool down. Peel beets with a vegetable peeler and cut into 1/2-inch wedges; place beets in a large bowl.

Add tomato, avocado, onion, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper to bowl; toss to combine. Top mixture with basil and chives and serve.

Yields about 1 1/4 cups per serving.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your comments Camelia. I did join the website but am not sure how to add the logo on my blog. Can you please advise?

    ReplyDelete