Saturday, May 29, 2010

Stuffed Chicken Dinner


As you know by now, Saturday dinners are a bit different than usual suppers and more of a restaurant style! Yes, when I make Italian food, I get this comment all the time that I make better Italian food than the Italian restaurants here! No kidding!  Italian food to us is more of pasta and chicken and sausages. We are not adventurous enough to try Octopus and the kind!

This dinner was no different. My son Mark said that this was one of the best dinners! And why not, it was the whole nine yards.  I even made his favorite molten chocolate cake for dessert!   He was asking for more broccoli! I only wish I had made more stuffed chicken and thrown them in the freezer for future use! Lesson learned. Next time, I will do exactly that. Give this yummy dinner a try and be prepared for the accolades!

Stuffed chicken
Ingredients
4 small chicken breasts, about 1 lb
2 Portobello mushrooms, chopped
1 onion, chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped
Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to taste
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded

How to: Pound the chicken breasts between plastic wrap until they are 1/4" thin. Set aside. On medium high heat, sauté onion and garlic till onion is translucent. Add mushrooms and cook till water evaporates completely. Once dry, add seasonings and adjust per taste. Set aside to cool down.

Make 4 equal sized portions of the onion mixture and cheese. Place on each chicken breast, roll up and secure with toothpicks. Put the prepared chicken in a greased baking tray, cook in the hot oven till the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink inside.

While chicken was cooking, I prepared broccoli casserole. I chopped up broccoli, steamed it. Prepared roux by using equal portions of butter and all purpose flour, with salt and pepper to taste. Added broccoli in it, with lots of shredded old cheddar on top and baked with the chicken in the oven.

Veggies were frozen, just steamed them in a little bit of chicken stock, done.

For scalloped potatoes, I sautéed a big onion and garlic in lots of EVOO till onion is translucent and in the meantime, sliced about a lb. of russet potatoes thinly. Then arranged them in layers in a casserole with some shredded cheese thrown in between, topping the casserole off with more cheese and dotting that layer with some butter. And baked in hot oven till potatoes were done and the nice golden brown crust was formed, well say about an hour! I didn't use any heavy cream or anything like that. Just kept it simple.

Molten chocolate cake recipe, I will post it later.

Now tell me, why go to the pricey restaurants and spend our hard-earned money on dinners while we can make it at home?!

No comments:

Post a Comment