Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Awesome Blossom!


I was thinking about making this Onion Blossom for a few years! Had it once at the Chili's and since then it has been stuck in my mind that I've got to make this! It took me about 4 years and 3 onions to make but hey, I finally made it! Yes, I wasted 2 onions before I got the 3rd one rightly cut and shaped!

I was reading one of the Indian blogs and I noticed that there is an Onion event, so I thought this might be the perfect opportunity for me to participate in that event and make what I always wanted to make-the Onion Blossom!

This looks very elegant and tastes very delish!

Onion Blossom

Ingredients:
4-5 tablespoons of corn starch
Salt and pepper to taste

For the batter:
1 cup milk
1 cup rice flour
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 large onion(I used Vidalia)
Oil for frying

How to:
Cut the top half-inch of the onion off (from the pointy side, not the root side). Leaving the root (bottom) intact, carefully peel the outer layer off.

Next, starting from the top, carefully cut the onion down and across the middle, stopping about a half-inch from the root. Repeat to make a criss-cross, cutting the onion down the middle again and stopping a half-inch from the bottom. You should have 8 sections at least, still attached at the bottom.

Place the onion, cut side up, in a large bowl, and cover completely with ice water. Allow to sit for 5 - 10 minutes, or until "petals" open up. (You can use your hands to gently help pry them open once they've been soaking for several minutes. Here's where I messed up with 2 onions!) Remove the onion, and dry both the onion and the bowl.

Once both are dry, place the onion back in the bowl, with the petals up.Sprinkle liberally with corn starch, salt and pepper mixture. Make sure to cover the entire onion with the corn starch mixture. Next, make the better using batter ingredients. Dip the onion in the batter and leave it in the fridge for an hour or so(keep the onion dipped in the batter and place the entire bowl in the fridge). Deep fry on medium high heat till it is golden brown.


I served this blossom with the quick dip made with Ranch dressing, lemon juice, mayo and a dash of red chili powder.

This is my entry for Priya's Healing Foods - Onions!

No comments:

Post a Comment