Thursday, July 29, 2010

Dumplings And An Award!

 

I picked up dumpling wrappers from the grocery store yesterday. I was thinking about making raviolis out of them and ended up making these tasty dumplings! I happened to have all the ingredients in my fridge and pantry for dumplings. And I got enough wrappers to make both, dumplings and ravioli. Since I was making it for Sunday supper, I decided to go with dumplings as they are much lighter than raviolis. Mark was kind of skaptical at first. All he had until now was noodles and curried dishes with rice as Chinese. He still gave it a try and simply fell in love with it! Gave me a thumbs up! At the end , I shallow fried some dumplings for him to enjoy. These dumplings were vegetarian and no one could tell it!

Dumplings
Ingredients
Dough:
4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups hot water
 
Sauce:
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon chili paste
2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons freshly chopped mint leaves
1 tablespoon freshly chopped Thai basil leaves

Peanut oil, for cooking
Cilantro leaves, for garnish
Lime wedges, for garnish

Filling
1 cup Nutrela granules, soaked and squeezed dry per package directions
1/2 cup grated cabbage
2 finely chopped green onions
1 tbsp grated ginger
1/2 tbsp grated garlic
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tbsp hoisin sauce
1 tbsp or more Sambal Olek
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
1-2 tbsp cornstarch
1 egg
Water to seal the edges of dumplings


How to:
For the dough:
Whisk the flour with the salt and stir in the water until dough is shaggy. Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead briefly; dough should be soft and pliable but not too sticky. Rest, covered, while you make the filling and the sauce.

For the filling:
Mix everything except corn starch in a food processor. Now depending on consistency, add corn starch. The filling should be on dry side. Not to dry though. Take one disc and place about 1 tbsp of filling in the centre. Do not overstuff the discs. Line the edges with a touch of water and seal the dumpling. Make all the dumplings and keep them covered under moist kitchen towel.


Heat a skillet, just large enough to accommodate the number of dumplings you want to cook over high heat. Add a thin coating of oil, heat, then add the dumplings in concentric circles. They should be touching. Cook until the bottoms are golden brown, 3 or 4 minutes (reduce the heat if they are browning too quickly). Add enough water to come about 1/4 of the way up the sides of the dumplings-it will spatter. Cover the skillet, adjust the heat so that the water is simmering, and cook for about 7 minutes. Uncover the skillet and, if there is water left, let it cook off. Check the dumpling bottoms-if they need to brown a bit more, let them, adding a bit more oil if necessary.

Serve the dumplings immediately, drizzled with some dipping sauce and garnished with cilantro and lime wedges.

Now the award time! Wonderful Aipi was too kind to me and she shared this award with me. 


 I can't thank her enough to honor me with this lovely award... Versatile Blogger Award. This is so cool 'n exciting.

Thanks Aipi. You've got rocking recipes and a wonderful blog.

To accept this award the guidelines are -
- Thank the person/people who gave it to you - Did so!
- Tell 7 things about yourself - too difficult, looks like I don't know myself!
- Pass the award on to 15 bloggers who you think are fantastic - Man, don't even know this many bloggers! So  I am passing on this award to the friends I know.

I am trying to come up with 7 facts about myself
1. I am a Gujarati Christian, people think I look like from South India(I've got big black eyes and curly hair)!
2. A true family person
2. I love travelling, especially cruises!
3. Used to be an avid reader, don't have enough time these days. I could read the piece of paper comes with the fish n chips! Go figure!
4. Love to collect cool kitchen gadgets
5. I don't hate people! I dislike so many but never hate them
6. I don't drink coffee regularly! That's my weekend fair(funny my blog has hot n steamy coffee picture!)
7. I love to cook but can't just consider myself a foodie. There is so much to learn.

It is my pleasure to pass this award on to the following loving blogmates of mine, and Aipi, coming back at you again!

1. Sayali-my first ever blogger friend
2.Priya- thanks to who I've been able to get wonderful friends like you all, girls!
3.Aipi
4.Sanyukta
5.Prani
5.Jay
6.Trupti
7.Satya
8.Vidhya

7 comments:

  1. thts truly tempting dish dear..my ...looks mindblowing n amazingly delicious.mmm...mmm..thanks for sharing the award with me...so sweet of u...congrats for the same to u too..tc.and love to knw abt u..the coffeee thing..haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. the crust looks nice n crispy.. loved the filling.. thanx dear 4 the lovely words and believe it or not it feels great to receive the award back from you :).. it was also fun 2 know more about u..

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful recipe dear ...love the filling ,very new dish for me ..never prepared dumpling ...i can feel the taste right now ....congrats for this wonderful award ...u deserve many more ...thank q somuch for sharing this award with me ...so sweet of u ...nice to know more about u

    Satya
    http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hy Lizy,

    Great to know more about u. Yeah, I thought u r a South Indian. Congrats on the award dear. Thanx for sharing with me.
    the Dumplings looks yummy...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dumplings looks fantastic, delicious filling..COngrats on ur award Lizy and thanks a ton for sharing with me, am honoured yaar..

    ReplyDelete
  6. deliicous dumplings.. congrats on ur awards.. and thanka a lot for sharing with me

    ReplyDelete
  7. First time visit here and you have a great blog... nice pictures... love your dumblings....

    When you find time do visit my blog and I would like to invite you to participate in the events CID-2010 and DNSW: A by sending your special recipes.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete