Saturday, January 8, 2011

Bread Pudding-Indianized!

Let's start the new year with a sweet note!!

My dad's favorite dessert! I remember growing up, mom used to make this all the time for dad. I never liked it though! It was deep-fried bread, dipped in sweet milk/cream, garnished with lots of nuts! I love milk and nuts part but deep fried bread always turned me off! And that was when I was a child. Now that I have my own child and especially dessert lover hubby, I've had no choice but to reinvent this dessert! Last Christmas, after the church service, we all were enjoying a good lunch together and hubby was waiting for the dessert! I got him this dessert in a bowl, he loved it. Then I filled up a container with the dessert from the leftover to bring home. Next day, while enjoying it, he asked me, why didn't you pick up the whole pot of it?! I was like are you kidding me, this thing is so devilish! We all know how 'unhealthy' deep fried bread is. I for all can't just let my family eat this more! That's how the need arose to reinvent this dessert and boy! I was so happy with the final outcome. Now all fried food taste so good but to enjoy this dessert often, I've got to stick to the recipe I came up with. Here's how I did it.

Bread Pudding
Ingredients
1 week old bread slices(the older the better!), about 8
1 can Carnation evaporated milk,1%
1/2 can Nestle condensed milk
1 can low fat milk(fill up the can of evaporated milk)
Pam spray
A pinch of cardamom powder
Chopped pistachios for garnish

How to:
Heat oven to 400° F. Spray bread slices with Pam, arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake till both the sides are golden brown. You need to flip the sides once the bottom is golden. Cut them in pieces and let them cool down.

In a large, shallow dish, pour all the milks and add cardamom powder. Mix. Dip cooled bread pieces in the milk mixture. Leave overnight in a fridge. Garnish with nuts and serve chilled.

3 comments: