Thursday, April 7, 2011

Satay Chicken


When I look back at the special meals we shared on our little lunch 'dates', one dish that is always fondly remembered is Satay. Satay is a Thai version of the kabab. Skewered pieces of meat are marinated in aromatic flavours and grilled to perfection. The highlight of this dish however, is the spicy peanut dipping sauce.

For those of you who know me, also know that I’ll go to pretty much any length to duplicate my favourite dishes from the restaurants and at the same time, struggle to create a much easier and simpler and healthier version of the recipe in question. I check out the ingredients over and over again on the restaurant menus, make notes and start trying out the recipe at home. Satay is just one such recipe amongst those. So many times, when I start to put down the ingredients on the different menus for different dishes, I almost fall off the chair! So easy dishes, such simple ingredients and we spend so much for those dishes at the restaurants!

Re-creating the Satay was a breeze. What hurt my back though, was the peanut sauce. Until I threw caution to the wind and just followed my instinct. Works every time! And my version of the spicy peanut butter sauce is a breeze to make! It's literally 5-ingredients fix!

CHICKEN SATAY WITH SPICY PEANUT SAUCE
Ingredients
8-10 chicken tenders, boneless
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp turmeric powder
Juice of 1 medium lime
Salt and pepper to taste

How to:

Marinate all the ingredients for at least 2 hours. Best overnight. Skewer the tenders and grill for about 4-5 minutes each side. Keep warm.



Spicy peanut sauce
Ingredients
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1 tsp Thai red curry paste(my secret ingredient!) or to taste
2 tbsp hot water or as required
Pinch of salt
Chopped coriander leaves for garnish

How to:

Mix all the ingredients till you get smooth dipping sauce! You might need more hot water. Didn't I say it was a breeze to make?!



2 comments: