Sunday, January 22, 2012

Ginger Spiced Carrot Soup

Nothing warms up the body and soul than soup in the cold, chilly weather. Soups and stews are my favourites to make when the temperature dips to freezing(BTW, today is one such day here. It's brutal outside and I am in the mood for soup!). A bowl of hot n steamy soup with a slice of grilled garlic toast or grilled cheese … is good enough to bring back the hope that summer will be here, good enough to bring back the much needed sun shine through the hot fire kindling in the fire place. What more can I say?
I love carrots. As a kid, I always loved to munch on carrots. As a perky teenager and a vivacious young woman, I always loved freshly squeezed carrot juice. I still do. Those days in India, carrots were only available in winter. So I only had a few months to juice the carrots. Here in Canada, as we get carrots all year round, I've been religiously juicing carrots for God knows how many years. Mark used to have diluted carrot juice as a baby so I must be juicing for at least 16 years!

Well, today I am going to talk about another way of having carrots. I have grown tired of eating carrots as it is a tedious task! Seriously, all the chewing puts me off. That's why this soup. It is so easy to make and soooo good, you won't even believe it until you try it for yourself.

Ginger spiced carrot soup
Ingredients
1 lb carrots, peeled, cubed
2-3 " piece of ginger, grated
1 medium onion, grated
2 tbsp olive oil
5-6 cups vegetable stock
3-4 tbsp heavy cream(optional)
Salt and pepper to taste


How to:
Boil carrots in enough water so that you don't need to throw away the water.
Heat oil in a sauce pot.
Sauté onion till fragrant.
Add ginger and boiled carrots and cook further for about 2 minutes.
Add vegetable broth and place everything in a blender.
Blend well till you get smooth consistency.
Return to sauce pot, add salt and pepper.
Bring to one boil, add cream if using.
Stir once and serve hot with dunkers.

Sending this to Priya's healthy diet event.

6 comments:

  1. Wat a terrific and super tempting soup, prefect for this chilled season..do link to my warm soups event Lizy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting n perfect for the chilled weather!!

    Erivum Puliyum

    ReplyDelete
  3. healthy n refreshing soup, perfect for the winter..

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is perfect winter food. I love the fact that you have spiced up a simple carrot soup with ginger and made it extraordinary..!!

    My event- Valentines Day Special

    ReplyDelete
  5. Healthy and healing soup. Happy foolowing u

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy bowl of soup!:)

    Dr.Sameena@

    http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete