Monday, March 19, 2012

Cilantro Omelet(Chilas)




This is the easiest recipe out there. Only a few ingredients, mix them up, spread on a skillet and boom, in a matter of minutes, you would have a nicely golden, crispy omelet. This can be eaten as it is or stuffed with whatever filling strikes your fancy. I also top it with pasta sauce, cheese and other pizza toppings, bake till the cheese is bubbly and eat it as pizza!


When I saw Julie's cilantro and cumin event, I knew I will either go Mexican or Moroccan! And look where I ended up! Right at home! This is a very common dish in Gujarat. I remember fondly that childhood memory when mom used to make this as late Sunday snack with tea. Here too, whenever I see cilantro is starting to go bad, which happens often as I normally get a huge bunch every time I shop for groceries, I make either Cilantro pesto(chutney) or this omelet. I sometimes use lots of methi(fenugreek) or spinach also but cilantro is the common choice.




Cilantro Omelet

Ingredients
3-4 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves,washed
2 cups besan
Salt to taste
½ cup yogurt
water as needed
1 tsp sugar
A pinch of turmeric powder
Red chili powder per taste
Oil as needed
1 tsp cumin seeds(roasted and powdered)
2-3 green chillies, chopped

How to:

Mix ingredients with water to form a pancake like batter.
Heat up a non-stick skillet.
Spread a ladleful or 2 of batter, spread in circle.
Drizzle oil all around the pancake. At this point, you can top it with pizza toppings, and fold over to make pizza pockets.
Flip on the other side, cook it as well.
Once done, serve with cilantro pesto, or shaved coconut.

This is my entry for Julie's herbs-spicesevent







7 comments:

  1. wow..interesting one,Omelet without eggs..very innovative n flavorful too..
    Thanx a ton,Lizy for linking it to my event..
    Cook in any recipe with Cilantro/Cumin as main ingredients & rush it in my EP Series-Herbs n Spices
    Erivum Puliyum

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...what an interesting recipe.....bookmarked !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking omlette and lovely presentation. Very very nice!
    Maha

    ReplyDelete
  4. very new recipe to me... Looks so flavorful and yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. very interesting, looks so yummy..good one :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the new recipe to me.Looks delicious
    You have a wonderful blog here.
    Do visit my new blog in your free time
    http://www.foodydelight.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. just like mom's. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete