Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Homemade Wonton Soup

I always, always, always have wonton wrappers in my fridge. They are so versatile, come in handy whenever I am in a rush to make something very quick. This soup was just another one of those I Want Something Hot N Steamy To Warm My Soul kind of dishes. We were buried in snow last week. What a blizzar it was. We had an unexpected long weekend. It was Friday and I need to make room in the fridge to put the groceries after Saturday grocery shopping. I found mushrooms and tofu and the wonton wrappers. I thought, hmmm, now what to do with these wrappers? And someone knocked on the door of my brain, asking me to make dumplings. Which I did. And then, boom, from dumplings, I took a U-turn and made this soup.

It is so easy, so satisfying, so comforting. Make it tonight friends!

Homemade Wonton Soup
Ingredients:
For Wontons:
12 wonton wrappers
½ cup shredded cabbage
¼ cup shredded carrots
1 tbsp soy sauce
Ginger and garlic paste as per taste
1 tbsp oil

How to:
Cook the veggies in hot oil with ginger,garlic and soy sauce until the water evaporates.
Keep it aside to cool down.
Once cooled down, fill the wonton wrapper with about a tsp of the mixture, dip your fingers in the cold water and seal the wonton wrappers.
Make all the dumplings.

For Soup
Ingredients
1 litre chicken broth
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup sliced tofu
Soy sauce per taste
Chili sauce per taste
Rice noodles as required

How to:
Boil the chicken broth.
Add mushrooms, tofu and wontons.
Cook for about 5 minutes or until wontons float on the top of the broth.
Remove from heat.
Add rice noodles, soy sauce and chili sauce.
Serve hot soup with garnishes of your choice, like cilantro, Thai Basil or sliced spring onions.
Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. comfort soup..perfect for the chilling weather,yumm:)
    Dumplings look cute too!!
    Love to see your recipe linked up in Flavors Of Cuisines-"Mexican"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious and healthy wonton soup. Loved the look of it.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonton soup,just love this soup..Will definitely sooth my sore throat.

    ReplyDelete