Saturday, February 15, 2014

Infused Khaman!



Khaman is a Gujarati snack which is very popular all over the world! I can say this because there are Gujaratis all over the world and I can say that there is no Gujarati household in this world who wouldn’t make this snack and enjoy. Wherever the Gujaratis have gone, they have taken garba(traditional Gujarati dance), khaman, dhokla and the like with them. I too am part of that tradition and culture. People think since I am a Gujarati Christian,  I might not be into making all these traditional Gujarati dishes but that’s wrong. Every week, I make sure I make something that reminds us of our roots and that gives us a chance to talk to our son as well about Gujarat and India.

I call this dish infused because it is infused with sugar and lemon concotion. I remember my neighbour in Gujarat, used to mix yogurt with sugar and lemon and pour over the khaman and send to us the entire platter to enjoy! I made it once here and hubby didn’t like the yogurt on top so I don’t use it anymore.

Here’s how I made it.

Infused Khaman
Ingredients
For khaman:
1 cup chick pea flour(besan)
2 tbsp semolina(sooji)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp Eno(fruit salt)
1 tbsp sugar
Pinch of turmeric powder
½ tsp citric acid
¾ cup water
2 tbsp oil

For tempering:
3-4 tbsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1-2 serrano chillies, chopped
A handful of fresh cilantro leaves
½ tsp asofoetida
1 tbsp sesame seeds and grated fresh coconut for garnish

For infusion:
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp water
Mix it well and keep aside.

How to:
For khaman:
Bring water to boil in a large sauce pot.
Grease a tray(8 “ wide) with oil. Set aside.
Mix all the khaman ingredients, except Eno to smooth batter.
Once the water starts boiling, sprinkle the Eno on top of the batter.
You will see a whole lotta bubbles.
Mix gently for about a minute.
Immediately pour the batter into the greased tray.
Place the tray in the pot and steam it covered for about 15 minutes.
In the meantime, prepare tempering.
Heat oil in a small pot.
Add mustard seeds, let them crackle.
Then add asofoetida, chillies.
Now take it off the heat, add infusion and set aside.
Once khaman is done, cut them into squares.
Spoon the infused tempering, taking care to push it through each nook and cranny of the dish.
Take it out on a plate, garnish and serve.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment